Just as its name implies, “home based services” are those services that are offered at home. Usually, they are offered based on certain factors like an individual’s needs, challenges, or the ability of the service provider to provide them. Also, while some home based services are done with the aim of making a profit or earning a living, others are done as a form of assistance or freewill giving.
Advantages of home based services
What are some of the perks that come with offering home based services or being a recipient of one?
- Flexibility:- if you are offering a home based service, you get to work at a flexible rate. There is freedom to choose when to work, how to work, who to work for, and even when to take a break from work. If you are offering home based services, you get to work at your own pace, make your own decisions and be the boss of your own.
- Saves money:- most people who offer home based services have the luxury of doing so without having to spend much, and in some cases, having to spend nothing. This is because offering services outside one’s home usually costs a lot of money, from renting a building or place of work to getting equipment, employing workers, and not to mention but a few.
- Saves time:- most people do not have the luxury of working close to their home, so they spend a lot of time commuting from home to work and from work back home. If you are offering home based services, this time spent on commuting to work and back from work can be put to effective use for something else.
- Increased productivity:- the fact that you have the luxury of making your own decisions and working at your own pace gives you an opportunity to put more effort into your work and, as such, increase productivity. Most people find it hard to contribute positively in their workplace as a result of being put under pressure. Hence, having the opportunity to make your own decisions and do things your way would help increase productivity.
Disadvantages of home based services
While there are a lot of advantages that come with offering home based services, it is also important to point out some of its disadvantages. What then are the disadvantages of home based services?
- Distraction:- offering a service or services from home can come with distractions, especially since your home is supposed to be your place of rest and relaxation. Combining work with house chores or activities might prevent one from being productive.
- Informal workspace:- no doubt, offering services from home makes your workspace look informal. Imagine having to create a design or write content for a client while breastfeeding your baby or preparing lunch. Usually, this is something you wouldn’t have done if you were working in an organization or company.
- Isolation: Most home-based service providers are usually isolated from the outside world. As they say, no man is an island of knowledge, and two heads are better than one. As such, working in isolation might have an effect on them psychologically and in terms of productivity.
Read More:How To Start A Marketing Business
Types of home based services
Now that you know what home-based services are and their advantages and disadvantages, what then are some of these home based services?
- Graphic designing:- graphic designing involves the use of words, pictures and ideas to pass across a message or an information to a target audience.
You can offer graphic design as a home-based service. All you need is a laptop or smartphone, the skill of graphic design, and a little bit of expertise.
- Content writing:- content writing involves writing content for websites that are tailored to meet the needs of that website’s target audience. These contents include newsletters, e-books, white papers, social media posts, and blog posts, to name a few.
There are a lot of bloggers and organizations that require the services of content writers. You can offer content writing services to them from the comfort of your home. Just like graphic design, you simply need a laptop or smartphone to start providing content writing services from your home.
- Social media management:- social media management involves the general overseeing of social media accounts like instagram, facebook, twitter, telegram, etc., which might involve activities like planning and organizing strategies, creating content, following up on conversations, influencing, measuring and monitoring activities, to name a few.
From the comfort of your home, you can help handle the social media accounts of companies or brands and help them tailor their intended message to their target audience.
- Catering services:- this is another home-based service you can provide to people. Catering involves providing food-related services for private individuals, at hotels, restaurants, events, e.t.c. While the serving or distribution part of catering services might require one to leave their home, the preparation aspect can be done at home. Hence, catering services can still be considered a home-based service.
- Virtual assistance:- working as a virtual assistant requires one to assist an individual or organization administratively. This might require them to schedule appointments, organize calendars and emails, make travel arrangements, and provide customer care service, among other administrative duties.
A virtual assistant does not necessarily have to work in person in an organization. In fact, the term “virtual” signifies that it involves working online.
- Online tutoring:- As its name implies, online tutoring involves teaching in an online space. It is another service you can offer from your home. It can be done through a Learning Management System or a tutoring website.
Home based services are simply services that are offered from the comfort of one’s home. They shouldn’t be mistaken for businesses that are done from home, even though they have some kind of similarity. Home based services are services offered from home and are only a subset of businesses from home.